Bastard Husband

 A few years back I read author and comedienne Linda Lou's book Bastard Husband: A Love Story and adored it. As I soaked up (and sometimes laughed through) her  beautifully written prose, Linda's accounts of the codependent relationship with her dysfunctional alcoholic spouse resonated strongly with me and my own situation.  I couldn't help but feel I shared some of her ex’s  deeply-rooted character flaws, as I suspect many of us addictive personalities do. 

Now that my own book is on the verge of release, Linda has been kind enough to read Ballad and provide a review:

A compelling story, eloquently written

In this heartbreaking yet inspiring memoir, J. D. Remy captures the fear and emotional volatility resulting when a slow progression of alcohol abuse finally implodes. As an emergency room physician dedicated to saving the lives of others, he confronts the ultimate challenge when he’s faced with saving his own. Peppered with wry humor, Remy recounts his struggle with full frontal honesty, unafraid to reveal his vulnerability or call out his ego. An engaging and crisply written story of a tormented healer turned sober man.

When my book receives a positive review, it feels really good. But when an author whose book I loved gives me a great review, I become downright jubilant. So...thank you Linda Lou- for inspiring me through your writing, and for providing  me motivation to write my own memoir! I raise my glass of club soda with lime twist in your honor!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frank Gallagher?

Nothing Comes Before It

Intubating Alcoholics